Thursday, June 23, 2016

This is a political rant-beware of ANGER

I have been trying so hard to keep my political feelings off this blog as I know whatever I say will not change any minds which are made up and opposite to mine.  Last night and this morning creamed it for me, however, as I am truly angry and I do not care who knows it.
John Lewis is a pioneer in the Civil Rights movement and a true gentleman.  He was one of the "Big Six" in the Civil Rights Movement and was beaten to a pulp and got a fractured skull from state troopers for leading a peaceful march from Selma, Alabama. This came to be known as  "Bloody Sunday", and was directly responsible for the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1965.  He was elected to the House of Representatives in 1987 and has served there ever since.  He is 76 years old.
He has always been one of my hero's and to hear the little guttersnipe President of the NRA, call him a terrorist, is beyond the pale.
John Lewis has always been a man who stood for and still stands for peace, but he will not back down or give up what he believes in.  His speech on the floor of the House of Representatives on June 15, 2016 was polite and firm and quietly made.  He then ended his speech by staging a peaceful sit-in on the floor of the House.  He vowed to remain there until some form of gun legislation was brought forward so all the legislators to vote on, and have their vote recorded.  He did not say the legislation had to pass; but only to be submitted for vote.
Paul Ryan then returned to the floor at about 10:00PM and called for a vote on a piece of Wall Street legislation, which Obama had vetoed, and  which subsequently failed, then he called it a day.  The morning of June 17, Paul Ryan dismissed the House early for their 4th of July holiday.
John Lewis has vowed to carry on struggle when Congress returns after the 4th.  I will quote some of his words below:  "We have turned deaf ears to the blood of the innocent & the concern of our nation. We will use nonviolence to fight gun violence & inaction".
9:18 AM - 22 Jun 2016
In truth I am so sick of the lack of any positive action in Congress, but what truly bothers me is the attempt to discredit honorable men and women simply to force an agenda..  People should take a peaceful stand for what they believe in.  All the name calling in the world will not and cannot besmirch the reputation of a man like John Lewis.  For those who do not know who he is and what he stands for I find myself attempting to set the record straight.
I am done for now

No comments:

Post a Comment