Friday, September 6, 2013

What is most important, right now?

Hello again my friends, it is time for a little game.  If you could change just one habit or behavior you have held for more than 5 years, what would it be.  For me it used to be smoking.  I smoked for 50 years before, through God's grace, I was finally able to stop.
I, however, cannot ever leave well enough alone so I have to try and change something else.  Of all my striving towards perfection what key behavior still bothers me most?  It is hard to decide because my faults range from the physical, to the mental, to the spiritual and each category needs a lot of work.
First, the physical or health:      I need to lose at least 20 lbs.
                                                   I need to get more exercise.
These two behaviors are important because with COPD you cannot cure the disease, it is progressive. What  you can do is influence the body's ability to take in and more efficiently utilize oxygen.          

Secondly, mental or discipline:  I tend to put things off and wait until either time or circumstance 
                                                    force me to act.
                                                    I have to organize my paperwork better for my husband and heirs.
                                                    I have to dispose of my excess possessions before they create a 
                                                    problem for the previously mentioned.

Thirdly, Spiritual or Soul:           I want to be kinder to others in my thoughts and erase
                                                     negative feelings I hold; to eliminate hate from my heart.
                                                    I want to better understand and more completely follow
                                                    the teachings of Jesus, as they have come down to us.      

So given all of the above what should I  focus on first. In order of priority I believe the last should be first.  Love and kindness and understanding should always be at the forefront of all our activities.
Love your God with all your heart and your neighbor as yourself, to paraphrase.
A part of loving one's neighbor is taking care of their interests before one's passing. So I believe I should focus on the second, second.  Lastly, I should focus on number one. In more ways than One.
Ideally I can do all things in God.  With sacred help and guidance I can make progress in several direction as long as I keep my priorities straight, and do not get sucked in to superfluous activities which benefit no one.   

So my fellow players, what life changing activities would you like to focus on.  Life either is or is not a game.  If it is, one needs to move one's pieces in such a way as to win.  If it is not, then it is all the more important to get straight with what is most important and create one's own destiny.  One's character is one's destiny.  Is it not?  "To be or not to be, that is the question......"
I apologize for the previous paragraph.  I could not help myself.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment