Thursday, May 30, 2013

Work I didn't love-part one

Today has started very busy. In my head.  So many thoughts are circling of things I have to do and things I need to do, and things I want to do.  The urgent vs the important.  Even though I am not, as they say, gainfully employed I struggle with balance in my life.  Being retired isn't all it is cracked up to be.  I would really like to make money, like I used to. for all the things I do that I do not want to.  Did you know that I never really wanted to work in accounting/business, yet I did for more than 40 years.  I did a few other jobs in other years I worked, but nothing I really loved either.  All the things I loved to do I did outside of work. 
When I first went to work in NYC in June of 1963,( after flunking out of College at Geneseo), I had no idea of what to expect.  My first job I learned what the work world was really like by working in the mail room of a professional association of accountants.  I learned to operate all the mail room machines and to sort the mail for different depts. and executives.  I got to wheel around a mail cart and learn to put faces and jobs to all the names.  I also learned to operate a switchboard(the old fashioned kind with wires that you plugged into an actual extension board), talk about multitasking.  My first boss sent me to typing school and tried to mentor me but I was a reluctant student.  She sent me to a free clinic at Belview hospital when I had an excruciating toothache for several days.  The tooth was pulled to my later regret.  My boss also sent me to a fancy hair salon in NYC.  I will not mention the name but you would know it.  My ears stuck out of my new hairdo.  Too short.  I cried for days.  She told me how to dress, compose myself, live my outside life  and would scream at me when I came in hungover after 2 hours sleep.  I was the favorite victim of the "dragon Lady", but she really did teach me a lot and prepared me for my future jobs in the NYC business world. I absolutely hated her and when I went home at Christmas I told my mother I was going to resign when I went back.  She advised me to get another job before I left that one.  This is what I did which led me to my first airline job.
More about the job world in subsequent blogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment